Tuesday 1 September 2015

Roasted tomato paste

So, life returns to a more normal pace after a hectic weekend of baking, grandchildren and fairs in the rain.
I have 3 gardens booked in today and so will be done with them by late lunchtime, I then will pop to Mrs H's bungalow and check everything is ok there before heading in to York and checking on IH's and then go and see Mrs H in the nursing home.
On Saturday, whilst the oven was on with the baking I roasted some of the vast supply of ripe tomatoes that we are getting currently. I chopped up a couple of onions and a load of my small garlic in  with them and then once they had fired out a bit, I blitzed them in the blender before roasting to reduce further.
I left the end result in the fridge yesterday and Sunday, with no time to do anything with them, so this morning I've quickly filled an old ice cube tray with the resulting paste and will freeze them to add at later dates to stews and pasta dishes.
I'm very pleased with the end result, it's a nice thick, strong flavoured paste. 
Been out this morning and picked another bowl full of tomatoes and the last of the Victoria's, very disappointed with what we've managed to get off the plum trees this year, they are absolutely covered with wasps. So early morning when they are very sluggish is the only time I can get anywhere near the trees safely. Not sure I've even got enough for a batch of plum jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment