Saturday 15 August 2015

Spiced plum and red onion chutney

This morning I have friends coming to see our horses, this is Andrea and her dad, Mick and her little boy Archie, Andrea and I did the stall together last week at Elvington.
So I'm trying to get a batch of chutney on, as time is a bit short today and tomorrow I'm away to Northumberland until Thursday.
I got all the plums stoned last night, and I've got about 5lb. This recipe is a bit of an adaptation of a recipe I've used for years, and I don't even know where the first read it! 
It's a really easy one as all the ingredients just go into the pan together and then it's simmer and stir for 2.5 hrs and that's it.
So into the an goes:
3lb plums - halved and stoned
1.5lb red onions - peeled and diced
1lb cooking apples - peeled,cored and chopped
2 pints malt vinegar
1lb Demerara sugar
1lb dark brown sugar
3 cloves of garlic - chopped fine
2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger
2 heaped teaspoons ground cinnamon 
1 heaped teaspoon ground allspice
2tbsp salt.
That's about it, go off and do something else for a couple of hours, popping back to stir it every now and then, especially towards the end. The pot up into sterilised jars and seal. It should be stored for a couple of months before eating, so ideal to be making now and perfect for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment