Sunday 23 August 2015

The most Christmassy of chutneys

Yesterday in the baking heat, I had the day scheduled for chutney making, I decided to just get on and do it, while up in Northumberland looking after Jane's dogs for a few days, I had come across 3kg of Rocha pears for a measly £1.20 and couldn't resist them, you can use any pears, but they don't want to be too ripe. I have a chutney I make every year and it's a popular one when ever I have it up for sale. I sold out a while ago and so needed to get some made ready for the up and coming season. It's another easy one as in that everything just goes in the pan and then boiled up for an hour or so. It may be easy, but it's a bit of a lengthy prep process, peeling and coring 3 kg of pears takes a while, the 3 kg was split into two and I made up two batches.

Pear, orange and ginger chutney.
So, into a preserving pan goes:

1 pint malt vinegar
1.5kg pears, peeled, cored and chopped 
450g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
450g raisins or sultanas
450g dark molasses sugar
2 large oranges, zest grated and juiced
200g crystallised ginger, chopped
Then the secret ingredients that elevate this to something else...
1 heaped teaspoon each of :
ground ginger
ground cloves
ground allspice 
ground cinnamon.

You could use a spice bag and while spices if you like, but I find freshly ground spices give more depth of flavour.
It makes a delicious spicy dark chutney that is wonderful with cold meats, especially white meat like chicken and turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment