Sunday 31 May 2015

Lemon Balm Lip Balm

This is a recipe I make every year around this time, when my lemon balm is nice and green and lush, it's a lovely lip balm that is supposed to cure cold sores, not that I ever get them, but I made this for the first time for a friend who does.
It's a bit of a faff, but worth it for the goodness it has.
Firstly grab a load of lemon balm, you really only need the leaves,
so strip them from the stalks and and then finely chop, I have one of those brill little choppy gadgets that you just bash up and down and it chops everything up.
Put into a pan and heat gently with 100ml of olive oil, not virgin, just a nice light one, along with a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ oil.you want it to sizzle a little but not boil or fry. Simmer really gently for around 15 mins.
Then strain the whole lot through a muslin lined sieve, you need to squeeze every last drop out , so I usually put on a pair of rubber gloves and squeeze and wring the stuff in the muslin, wipe out the pan, then put the 'juice' back into the pan. Add 2 tbsp of honey and 1oz beeswax and melt gently in the pan,
keep stirring to amalgamate it all, once melted, add 10 drops of tea tree oil, stir through and then pot up, I use those little pots that you get jam in at little cafes and tea shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment