Saturday 30 May 2015

Three fruits marmalade

Having a bit of a clear out today, we had some oranges that no one has eaten, a couple of grapefruits and 3 old lemons, so making up some marmalade. This is a recipe I do quite often. I always freeze citrus fruit shells if I've used them for anything, so got a few bags of shreds out of the freezer along with the chopped up fruit and 4 pints of water. Simmer away with the lid on for a couple of hours.
 I then have to do this in two batches as our cooker is rubbish and if the pan is too full, I never get a good rolling boil. Anyway add the sugar, bear in mind this ain't no diet recipe...450g sugar to every 600ml liquid. 
Bring to a good rolling boil and get to setting point, using a sugar thermometer is the best way, but there other tests, such as a rolling boil which won't stir down, or doing the wrinkle test on a saucer ever few minutes after about a good 10 mins boiling.
In the meanwhile I 'sterilise' washed jars in the oven for 10 mins at 150 degrees,  once it's at setting point, by whichever method you choose to check, take jars out of oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then Pot up and seal. I use cellophane discs dipped in brandy and original lids.
             And the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment