Sunday 21 June 2015

Elderflower cordial, but not again

I plumped for making elderflower cordial today, went out and picked the elder flowers from around our place then boiled up water and sugar, which I poured over the elder flowers and seated and sliced lemons. Next set is to leave it all to infuse for 24 hours or so. I'll hopefully get it strained and bottled up tomorrow evening.
However,  have to say I was shocked at the quantity of sugar in the several recipes I looked at, basically I'm making a flavoured syrup, so won't be doing it again for us to use, but might see how it sells on my stall. I have two fairs next weekend to try it at.
I'll have to sell it ' to be used in the next few weeks' as I've not added Campden tablets, which means natural yeasts in the elder flowers could start to ferment - which will either make it fizzy, and risk an explosion, or will turn it mouldy. I might try heat processing a few bottles, but I hate doing that as its a awkward job requiring quite a large pan to be able to 3/4 submerge the bottles. Hmm, well I'll see.
I've managed to get my sweetcorn planted out today, which was in desperate need, I've weeded the vegetable plot and put more French beans in and also potted on the rest of the tomato plants. I've planted a few of the tomatoes in the soil in my old raised bed, really just out of interest to see how the do outdoors, if the weather doesn't warm up soon then the answer will probably be...not very well!

And here's the end results, there's quite a lot of it, I haven't heat processed it yet, but think I maybe ought to, I will see how the sales go this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment