Tuesday 30 June 2015

Chilli jelly and jam

Beautiful day here today and although I'm enjoying the sunshine, I'm busy in the kitchen too, I have some cooking apples I need to use, they've been in the fridge for a few weeks and I knew I had a bag of frozen pieces of peppers, and somewhere in the freezer there are a load of chillis chopped up, so I've dug them out and am boiling up the chopped apples, chillis and peppers along with a rather soft mango, I'm then going to have to decide whether to take the long winded route and make chilli jelly, or just put it all through the mouli and make a chilli jam. Think the jam will be the choice, but for now I'm going to sit outside and enjoy a coffee while it simmers away.
I've had two loads of washing on today with the weather being so good, so all beds are stripped, been printing labels for jams and chutneys that never got labelled when I made them and also the chocolate fudge sauce I made yesterday. 
I've cleared out the under stairs cupboard and was going to get on with some more hand made jewellery today, but it's too nice to sit inside.
This is the starting point, everything chopped and in the pan, I've now come back inside, put everything through the mouli, measured it and added 400g sugar to every 600ml of liquid plus a handful of the shells of red chillis that I reserved and have sliced up. Boiling it up as I write this with the jars in the oven sterilising. Smells lovely, tastes not too hot, only used green and red finger chillis in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment