Wednesday 3 June 2015

Spion Kop fuschias

On Monday I was gardening for a Danish lady and she had me planting up new fuschias into tubs to put around her doors. She had bought snowcap fuschia, not one of my favourites, it's a bit 'blousey' for my liking, but she had got it because it's supposed to be red and white..the Danish national colours.
Anyway she didn't have enough, so I said I would get some more, knowing snowcap are quite a common fuschia...or so I thought. Yesterday, I had to go in to York to visit Mrs H, and also go to the nursery to get some large geraniums for Tony's garden, so I visited a number of plant stalls and garden centres as well as the nursery. None to be had, however they had a fuschia id never heard of called Spion Kop, now I know Kop is cap, so it wasn't too much of a stretch to think that Spion could be snow, I didn't buy them, but this morning I looked up Spion Kop on the Internet, I was wrong, it means Spy Hill in Dutch or Boer. And I've just read a very interesting tale about a terrible battle on 23rd January 1900 in the Boer war.
So back to my search for the snowcap. I'm in Selby this afternoon after my library work, so will have a look for them there. Odd really as I thought they were one of the most popular fuschias.

No comments:

Post a Comment