Monday 22 June 2015

Mushroom soup

Dave came home yesterday with a large box of mushroom from the car boot market, he said the bloke was selling them off for a £1 and he thought id be able to use them for something. I was thinking along the lines of a mushroom sauce to bottle and sell, but Mike started on about a soup his mum used to make where from what he could remember she just boiled the mushrooms for hours and you ended up with this grey soup, which although looked upappetising was delicious.
I gave him a Mrs Beeton cookbook I got from Mrs H and my Larousse Gastronmique to look through but he couldn't find anything he thought sounded similar.
So I've experimented, I've seen a few recipes on the internet about making mushroom soup in the slow cooker, so using a bit of them and some of my own ideas, I've just put on my mushroom and wild garlic soup.
I chopped up as many mushrooms as I could fit in the slow cooker, then into 1pt of hot water I've added 2 of those ready made stock thingies, 4 of my ice cube bagged wild garlic purée, some grated nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne, a heaped tsp of pesto. Poured that over, stuck in a couple of sprigs of thyme and that's it.
I've put it on low and hopefully when I get back from work tonight, I'll just have to blitz it for a few seconds. Doesn't look that exciting at the mo, but fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment