Monday 27 July 2015

Picking raspberries and red currants in the rain.

Today I've managed to get soaked twice and rip my work trousers, which I admit have seen better days, but I love them, they are patched and repaired all over and do give me a certain sort of tramp-like air when I am wearing them, but I'm dreading the loss of them, which could happen soon.
They are just great for gardening, they have padded knees, elastic on the back of the high waist, lots of large room pockets and they are Rohan walking trousers, so made of fabric that does dry very quickly.
Actually, I think I started to rip them last week when I snagged them on a tree stump, but the rip got enlarged today, and once dry they will need some major repairs.
My first job of the day was hedge cutting, and in long grass they soon started to sag with the weight of water on them, and then I think I stood on the ripped hem and tore it much further.
I dried off driving to the next job which was a quick case of planting up a few pansies and giving everything a good watering. However Lisa had already phoned my on Saturday and said to come prepared with plastic tubs for fruit picking and so I've collected 900g of very ripe raspberries and 1.8kg of red currants. I've boiled up the raspberries and half the red currants with enough water to cover and they are now dripping through a jelly bag. I've frozen the other half of the red currants and plan to make cranberry and redcurrant sauce with them. ( I think in the depths of the freezer there is a bag of frozen cranberries). This may happen tomorrow as the weather forecast it dire.

No comments:

Post a Comment