Wednesday 24 June 2015

Missing hen

Yesterday I noticed the little brown hen wasn't around, this is the one that has been literally hen pecked by the other hens and she was a sorry little thing, I'd caught the other hens viciously picking on her regularly and she was wary of allowing anyone or anything near her. I always tried to find her on her own and give her little treats, making sure there were no eavesdroppers around to go and tell the rest of the gang. She would often hang near me if I was out in the garden.
Her injuries didn't look life threatening, but she did have pretty bad pecking damage to the back of her head.  I spent a good hour last night wandering through our fields looking for her, but the grass is 2 ft high in places and so it was difficult. Not really sure what I was expecting to find, but haven't found her anyway. I did the same this evening, but not a trace, not found a 'kill site' which would be the evidence of a fox attack, it's the most likely outcome at this time of year, but have one last field to search, which I will do tomorrow evening. I am almost hoping that it was a fox attack and she had a quick end, rather than that she had been attacked again by the other hens and has gone off to die slowly. Torturing myself over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment