Wednesday 20 May 2015

Eggs and eggs and eggs

Not sure if I've said before but we are disappearing under an egg mountain, we sell a few to friends and family, and sometimes even give them away but the eggs keep coming, I'm not complaining, the eggs we get are the most beautiful dark yellow yolks and good firm whites ( when cooked) and in the past we've had some lovely hens but they laid rubbish eggs.
Today I boiled up a large pan full and have pickled them tonight, it's not hard work and I love pickled eggs. 
Just boil the eggs for 10 minutes, or for however long before you remember they are on!
Then run them under cold water and leave to stand in cold water, cracking the shells as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
Peel, rinse and dry off on a clean tea towel
Sterilise a few jars ( for pickled eggs I do this in the microwave, just because it's only a few jars, for preserves I tend to do it in trays in the oven)
Pack in the eggs, add a couple of peppercorns, top up with vinegar - today I used white vinegar a that's all I had in, but I usually use brown, seal and stick away in a cupboard for a couple of months. 
That's it, simple!


No comments:

Post a Comment