Wednesday 6 May 2015

Rhubarb Schnapps

A while ago I said I wanted to have a go at a rhubarb vodka/ schnapps type recipe, having looked on the internet there are numerous versions, including all sorts of spices and seasonings. I've decided to go with a basic recipe, which is in Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess book under the title Rhubarb Schnapps.
 basic recipe is :
1 kg rhubarb, washed, dried and chopped
300g caster sugar- didn't bother using caster, just used granulated
1 ltr vodka
Put everything in clean jars, it says sterilised, but I've not bothered, they are perfectly clean, and the vodka can do the rest, seal, then keep somewhere cool and dark, shaking the jar whenever you remember, ideally every day for the first month or so...hmm, not going to remember that every day.
Anytime between 6 weeks and 6 months, strain and bottle up.
My recipe hasn't quite filled the jars, and I think I'll add a bit more rhubarb when it's grown a bit more, I've been using quite a lot of it lately, either that or I'll get a bit more vodka and top it up.
Nigella  stuff looks lovely and pink and I wonder if she used the early forced rhubarb rather than the rather large chunky stems I used, so may need to add a bit more sugar too. Anyway..here goes.


                  
And this is it on on day 3, love the colour
 A quick note to myself..and I. Suppose to anyone reading this. The vodka/schnapps finally got filtered and it's gorgeous. Definitely need to make more of this next year, beautiful rounded flavour, I had read somewhere about only leave it sitting steeping for a few weeks, otherwise it will go bitter, well that's definitely not the case, wonderful stuff, just stewing up the pickled rhubarb now and will see how that tastes, either for pie fillings or a jam, undecided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment