Monday 11 May 2015

Lily Beetle Drive

And the quest begins. Today whilst gardening for a lady, we spotted Lily beetles on her crown imperials!
I've been casually checking for the beetles over the past couple of weeks, but after seeing this, it's the first thing I did when I got home this evening, and sure enough there was one little bugger on one of my Turks Hat Lilies. I've squished in now, but will be on the look out now, they are horrid things, their babies cover themselves with their own poo, to disguise themselves, they look a bit like bird droppings and you don't realise until it's too late that they've eaten your whole plant. The adult beetle is very easy to see, it's a really bright red, they next one I see I will photograph and add to this entry. You have to be quite stealthy when you're hunting them, as if you shake the plant in anyway before you are ready, they drop off on to the floor and lie on their backs, which camouflages them. The hunt is on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment