Thursday 30 April 2015

Rhubarb and Ginger Jelly

After looking at the rhubarb yesterday, I couldn't bear the thought of it sitting there and going over, so I picked a good few stalks and stewed a little in the oven for tea, with the rest I chopped it up and simmered it with some sliced root ginger and a frozen packed of pectin rich stock ( made from filtered, boiled, apple and lemon skins left from a previous recipe). 
I then left it to drip in a jelly bag all night, and this morning am boiling it up in small batches with 450g of sugar to every 600ml of juice. The recipe calls for less sugar, but last year I couldn't get it to set without the usual 450/600 ratio.
Ive added a teaspoon of citric acid per litre of juice too, just for certainty on the set, I'm sick of reboiling things.
The rhubarb juice is such a beautiful colour, I took some pictures but I'm not sure they really do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment